When reading a poem for instance, one's experiences in life can alter the way one may percieves the meaning of the poem.
"In the desert"
For someone who has had a failed relationship or had their heart broken might read this poem and relate it to man who had his heart broken. The author uses imagery and symbolism when using the word "naked" to demonstrate how the character has nothing left to loose. Perhaps the girl who broke his heart took everything from him, stripped him of his clothes and all he is left with is his broken heart which he refers to as "bitter". Which he wants to eat because it is bitter so he doesn't want to give someone else the chance of taking it so he decides to eat it so no one else can take it away from him. The denotation of the word "ate" is the act of consuming something versus the connotatoin, disappearing, gone, or nothing left. From this I concluded that there is nothing left of his pride, dignity, which is why he is naked.
"The Flea"
In this poem I interpreted the story being about a man who was in a relatonship where he felt he gave it his all and then came to find that his girlfriend cheated on him so he ended the relationship, and now she's with another man and he's warning the new boyfriend about her devious and sinful actions she is probably doing to him as well.
The believe the author uses the metaphor "flea" to symbolize his ex girlfriend. I developed this interpretation with the connotation as a flea being painful, annoying, and you don't realize an animal for instance has fleas until you really look. In terms of the poem, the boyfriend in the story is hurt by this "flea" (ex girlfriend) with her cheating that he didn't catch until he really looked and realized the lies she was doing.
"The Passionate Shephard"
In this poem I believe that it is about a man who is trying to convinve a woman he's in love with, to be with him.
To inlfuence the girl's decision the speaker says "birds sing" to symbolize a happy, cheerful place. The speaker continues to use the words "roses" and "flowers" to show he can be romantic and he uses the word "gold" in his poem to symbolize his wealth and to show the woman that she will live a comfortable life. The speaker also uses the words "dance" and "sing" to symbolize joy and happiness, as well as the phrase "May morning", where May represents spring which symbolizes youth and life.
"To his Coy Mistress"
In this poem I believe it is about the speaker ( a man) who is in love with a woman, and is willing to do anything for her as a way to show how much he loves her.
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Your interpretation of the "flea," is really interesting I didn't really understand any of that poem. I realized the flea was something annoying and I kind of thought the poem was about how the flea only took a small part of the womens life but the women took the fleas whole life. You really came up with a much more elaborate interpretation though.
I really like the interpretation of "The Flea". I thought it was cool how you compared a flea to an ex-girlfriend. After reading your interpretation of it, I thought about how this scenario cound be related to real lives.
Post a Comment