Wednesday, April 2, 2008

homework for thursday

In the short story "A Jury of Her Peers" and the play, "Trifle" both by Susan Glaspell I found it interesting that even though one is a story and one is a play and they both have different titles they both have the same story line and plot where characters decisions lead to another characters fate. Personally, I found the play easier to read and understand because I find that reading a play is easier because you always know what is going on, who's speaking, where it's taking place and so on. For example, it's always clear when the narrator is speaking as well as the names of each character and what they're saying. Also the descriptive actions in parentheses helps the reader to be conscious of what is going on. Unlike the short story which i found more difficult to read because in stories your brain has to figure out whose doing the speaking. Is the narrator talking or is it an actual character and if it's a character which one and sometimes it can get confusing which character is saying what. However, the play does take more time to read because of all the break ups in the story but since it's very structured and descriptive it's easier to comprehend and picture people acting it out. Which is why i think it would be easier to base the cultural/ historical analysis off of the play because it's more detailed and easier to comprehend. Furthermore, if people were to act it out the cultural and historical aspect of the story from the play would be even more clear versus reading the short story.

3 comments:

maurice said...

The parenthesis you just mentioned on the play helped me understand what was going on. They really picture what the speaker is doing when they are talking and I guess it is an advantage because you kind of keep tract on every move the characters make on the scene as if it was live.

Brittney Queen said...

It was interesting to hear your interpretation of the play vs the short story. Even though I found the short story easier to follow, I agree with you about how it is easier to follow who says what in the plot.

Patrick's Blog said...

I agree with you about the play being easier to read. The stage setups in the play along with the speakers being announced made it easier to follow along with who said what to whom.