I really enjoyed James Baldwin's "Sonny's Blues" because it reminded me of the book Invisible Man which I really enjoyed. Both stories are about a black man's struggle in a white society, and how racism limits the african americans from opportunities. I can relate to Baldwin's story because the character re directs his frustration and struggle into his music, where for me I take my frustrations out in cheerleading or tumbling at practice. In this story there are many symbols throughout the text that represent suffering and pain yet his music acts as an escape to release him of his struggles.
I found John Barth’s “Lost in the Funhouse” different compared to the other short stories. In this piece, Barth has an interesting sense of humor in a way to relay his message in his story. He also uses metaphors to show represent his struggles with his parents.
In each story there's a common theme of struggle but each authors displays it in their writings a different way.
Monday, February 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with your opinion of "Sonny's Blues". Part of it is about a black man's struggle in a white society but i think the story was more focused on his brothers struggle with heroin and the struggle with himself rather than with the whites.
Post a Comment