Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Homework Blog 2/26
After reading the article I got a good idea on how to correctly analyze an object, and how to break down each part of how an object is made up. The article gave a clear example of how to analyze an idea, object, or text. After reading it I found it very interesting how girl power is promoted yet how following "girl power" the idea is that the girl is expected to fit into a stereotyped category. For example, a girl is expected to achieve the position of being thought of as a "queen", meaning they must be skinny and glamorized like a supermodel with an "anorexic frame". They're also supposed to be "daring", meaning they wear flashy and border line provocative clothing to be categorized as powerful in the movement of girl power. Not only does the article breakdown the girl power movement into negatively framing girls to fit this perfect image to appear "powerful", but I agree with the concluding statement that says, "Even in the midst of 'girl power', this T-shirt shows us a woman still dependent on men", which contradicts the whole purpose of "girl power".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with your analysis of "girl power." Girls are built up through theyre clothing etc. and then just pushed down again because the clothing etc. makes them more dependent on men. It's quite a silly process.
Post a Comment