Wednesday, March 19, 2008

3/20 homework

After reading, “Turning Out with a Focus on Historicism”, it's evident that history cannot always be the absolute truth. There is always information found by others to prove someone's theory, but no one will ever know whether there is real truth behind them because it is in the past. I agree with the article that people should always do as much of their own research as they can before believing someone else's just like in the social world where I was taught not always to believe another person's word unless you witnessed it first hand. Even thought their are theories which state the Holocaust didn't happen their are people who survived it which make it true. However, maybe one jew did not suffer as badly as another but I definitely disagree in terms of the Holocaust that suffrage wasn't among all the jews. Regardless the intensity it was either death, or near it.

I found the "The Holocaust Party" very interesting. However I was not shocked that the speaker believed the story. Because the Holocaust was so incredibly horrifying it's hard to believe it actually even happened. So I can see how the speaker would automatically believe the story. Although the narrator mentions the need for support to be sure the story is accurate, still today there are people who refuse to believe the Holocaust even happened. I took a history class on the Holocaust and I the events are unimaginable that it's hard to distinguish whether the story could be true or false.

In Randall Jarrell’s “The Death of the Ball Turret Gunner”, the author uses phrases such as "wet fur froze" and "nightmares" which describe the speakers discomfort with his situation of being in war. I believe he is in war because the word "fighters" is mentioned, as well as dying. I noted that the speaker continually referred to "it" through out the poem. The end of the poem reveals the speaker dying and the attitude ends negatively and the mood is not glorious at all.

1 comment:

Steph said...

It's interesting that you talked about the Holocaust possibly being a conspiracy. I have heard that before too, but it's hard to believe something that is so consistently taught in schools and history classes would be made up. This further shows that every situation is open to interpretation. My dad was born in Germany and completed all of his schooling there. What he was taught about the Holocaust is completely different from what I was taught. They were seeing the situation from a different point of view.