In Ralph Waldo Ellison’s “Battle Royal” the main theme of this book and especially this chapter is racism as well as identity.
Racism prevents other races from becoming their own identity because they are forced to live in another's man world, in this case the narrator is forced to live in this "white man's" world while trying to find his true self. I can imagine the setting of this chapter being dark and smokey and smelling like alcohol because it's a boxing scene and the fight is for the white men's entertainment. So I can imagine men yelling at the fighters while drinking alcohol and smoking.
In Maxine Hong Kingston’s “No Name Woman” the main theme is culture . Culture plays a huge role in this story specifically how it affects women personally as well as their behavior towards society depending on their own culture.
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I also thought that the main theme was racism, and the setting you described is pretty accurate.
I agree that the main theme was racism and I liked how you added the idea of identity and how it was hard for these men to find their own. The setting you described was really similar to how I pictured the story as well.
I also agree that the theme was racisim. It is also clear that the stereotypes based on racism prevents individuals from being unique in finding their identity
Post a Comment