Monday, March 24, 2008

Homework

In Junot Díaz’s “How to Date a Browngirl, Whitegirl, or Halfie” the major theme of this story was social status. I found it interesting how based on a person's economic status depends on how a "boy friend" should act towards his "girlfriend's" family. I can see in reality how a boy may try to seem more of a higher class by trying to be polite or act smart if he was trying to impress his girlfriend's parents who were wealthy.

In Maxine Hong Kingston’s “No Name Woman” the main theme is culture and in this story specifically how it affects women personally as well as their behavior towards society depending on their own culture. I agree that based on a person's culture or religion a person especially being a girl I know women care how society (and their culture) views them so culture definitely affects a woman personally.

I have read the entire book of Invisible Man so when I read Ralph Waldo Ellison’s “Battle Royal” I knew more background to the chapter. In this chapter specifically he is thrown into a boxing match while white men are throwing money and treating these black men fighting as animals. The main theme of this book and especially this chapter is obviously racism as well as identity. Through out the book and in this chapter the narrator continually refers to his grandfathers wise advice to help him through his struggle of being a black man in a white man's world. The idea of his grandfather ultimately carries him through and he succeeds in becoming a strong individual.

No comments: